Last Updated on
Watch Out! It’s Behind You… Best Selling Car Backup Cameras
Rear view camera technology is a fabulous thing – no more cricks in the neck, or worrying about what you can’t see, with a camera doing the work for you. You can reverse, confident in the knowledge that little Johnny isn’t behind the car, or Kitty isn’t lying in the driveway, washing her butt, or indeed, any variation on these scenarios.
So, when buying one of these handy pieces of kit, what do you need to think about?
Field of vision is a good place to start. This is determined by a number of factors, such as image sensor size and type and the lens focal length. Naturally the wider the lens, the more you’ll see behind, but have a play with various combinations to see what works for you.
The type of monitor is also important, with most being LCD (liquid crystal display). In terms of screen size, the larger the better – up to 10” is readily available.
Many backup cameras are fitted with infrared night vision, giving you a workable picture even in total darkness, and this is a useful feature to look for.
Considering that my reversing skills are as non existent as a woolly mammoth wearing jeans and cowboy boots, I am definitely the right person to be testing these cameras – watch out Kitty, here I come!
1) Car Backup Camera, 175° Wide Angle HD Easy-Installation 12 LED Night Vision Waterproof Rear View Back Up Camera from Coolwoo, Fit All Cars
This is a good, competitively priced, easy to install camera. It comes with clear and concise instructions, complete with simple diagrams, and after a couple of minutes it was ready to go!
- Wide Angle Design: Coolwoo car backup camera is designed to provide a 175°view that superbly kills all blind angles, the built-in distance scale line function helps you avoid possible obstacles in time when you do reversed Parking
- Premium Quality: Boasting an International IP68 Standard waterproof level. No need to worry – about any loss of functionality, fogging or misting even in the worst storm.
- Superb HD Camera: Includes a sophisticated Night Vision camera, with a 4 layer nano filter glass featuring 7080 HD chips, 64 8*488 pixels, internal ccd sensor & 12 auto flash lights.
- Super Easy Installation: Copper cable and screws included. Quickly attaches to monitor
- Superior Compatibility: Coolwoo Backup Camera is compatible with RCA connectors, and monitors with DVD Navigator.
This is a straightforward reversing camera. It has a good range of tilt, the wires are plenty long enough, and the vision is clear, including in low light.
When you take its competitive price into consideration, there is nothing to dislike about the Coolwoo (apart from, maybe, its name – seriously, Coolwoo?)
My only complaint so far is that the camera should have more weatherproofing to prevent road salts and moisture getting into the electrics.
This Coolwoo camera is neat, cheap and does the job I want it to. What more can I say?
2) LeeKooLuu Backup Camera and 7″ Monitor Kit For Car/Truck/MPV/Van/Pickup/Camper Connecting Single Power Rear View System Reverse/Continuous Use Optional IP68 Waterproof Night Vision Guide Lines
The LeeKooluu camera system arrived quickly, with plenty of protective packaging, and all the parts necessary for a variety of installation options, including a windshield mount.
So far, an impressive start.
- Very easy installation. The system is powered by connecting to 12v source fuse box or cigarette lighter/power point/ignition switch for continuous use was controlled by a on/off switch or reverse use by connecting to reverse lights
- IP68 waterproof, colour HD license plate camera with 135 degree viewing angle and 7 LED lights.
- Camera is connected to monitor via direct wire (provided)
- IR Night Vision view clearly at night.
- 7 inch LCD display monitor is directly attached to flat surface dashboard with provided adhesive foam and bracket. Also, the bracket can be removed for alternative mounting options. If you want to fix the monitor windshield, please contact us get a free Suction cup mount.
- Monitor has capability to monitor two video inputs V1/V2. V2 video input will have priority (reverse camera) for safety by connecting the blue wire to Power positive.
- Installation instructions are included.
- Product has a 2 year warranty and tech support is available
The monitor is big, with great resolution, making reversing a doddle, even for me, and the actual camera works well.
The casing has no nasty gaps, and appears to give a high level of weather protection, and with the amount of options for fitting, the fixtures and attachments look well made and secure.
This back up camera comes with a large amount of instructions, so some patience is required for the initial set up. However, everything is logical and you should have it up and running in no time.
In the last weeks, I have discovered just how good this reversing camera is.
The clarity of the monitor, in night and day, coupled with the high frame rate makes this the perfect camera for reversing. I really like this, and the low price makes it doubly good.
3) Emmako Backup Camera Wireless and Monitor Kit For Car/SUV/Truck/Van/Camper 9V-24V Reverse Camera System Night Vision IP68 Waterproof Licence Plate Camera 7” TFT Display With Guide Lines
Out of the 3 best selling reversing cameras tested, this, despite the higher price, is the best in practically every way.
- Very easy installation. The wireless backup camera is powered by connecting to reverse lights for use when vehicle is in reverse gear. Or can be powered by connecting running lights or other continuous power source back of vehicle for continuous use.
- The monitor is easily powered by plug to cigarette lighter (included in package) or connecting to fuse box/ignition switch.
- Intelligent Switch means you can adjust the settings and switch the pictures between normal pictures (front/side view) and mirrored pictures (rear View).
- Guide lines can on/off and Width/Length/Up/Down Moving/downward angle adjustable.
- IP68 waterproof, colour HD license plate camera with 150 degree viewing angle and 7 LED lights.
- IR Night Vision view clearly at night.
- Wireless range 82ft-100ft on open empty area, range 30ft-35ft on vehicle We only recommend use under 30ft vehicle for no interference. If you met image flickers contact us to solve issue.
- 7 inch LCD display monitor is directly attached to flat surface dashboard with provided adhesive foam and pedestal. Also, the pedestal can be removed for alternative mounting options.
- Monitor has capability to monitor two video inputs V1/V2. V2 video input will have priority (reverse camera) for safety by connecting blue wire to power positive together with red wire or you need switch between V1 and V2 by manual
- Installation instructions are included. Product has a 2 year warranty and tech support is available.
The large screen has a clear, bright picture, with a fully adjustable mounting. Push button controls make the Emmako simple and straight forward to use, and the night vision works brilliantly.
However, with a camera that’s this easy to install, the wine so necessary for the LeeKooluu, is not needed. This could be a problem!
To be completely honest, I can’t fault this back up camera. I’ve tried, I really have, but other than reversing over the actual camera, I cannot find an issue.